Monday, August 17, 2009

Thing 18

I found Wikipedia a source of great concern, not that it isn’t simple and easy to use and I do use it for quick simple information that I just want to know. I was reading an article about Great Danes which was standard from any dog book or encyclopedia and it was incredible in the comments and how people can change something because they think they are right. I agreed with one post who said make this portion a semi-protected to prevent anonymous users from editing and vandalizing adding unsourced materials. It was interesting when I looked up paraplegia there were comment but because it was within Wikipedia Medical it seemed to be more protected environment. Then an article about police abuse relating to paraplegia seemed so out of place, from all the factual information that was given. It was such a contrast from the Great Dane article where everyone has an opinion. The history is really the place to start to see how many times it has been changed over time.
I have set up and used Wikis before with our middle school librarians, but not often. Our school had a Wiki for our students who went to the King Tut exhibit. It was amazing how much the students commented on comments made. It became a really fun thing for those students and all the other students and teachers in the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment